When it comes to places to visit, many people have the same few places in mind. Seattle, Washington, Los Angeles, California, New York, New York, Miami, Florida, Las Vegas, Nevada, you get the gist of it. Some people like to go off the beaten path and try their luck hiking through the Appalachian Mountains, but such a remote destination isn’t for everyone. If you’re looking got something a little off the beaten path but still, somewhere you could expect to experience what a city other than your own has to offer, you may want to look into West Nyack, New York. It’s an incredible little hidden gem of the East Coast, and it has a lot to offer to any urban adventurer looking for their next great escape. If you want some adventurous things to do, look no further.
Discover the Great Outdoors in West Nyack
While other cities may have things like Niagara Falls, West Nyack still has some breathtaking views for those that are willing to see them. For example, West Nyack is home to the iconic Buttermilk Falls Park. This park got its name from the cascades that lead down the steep valley. These cascades are created by Buttermilk Creek but flow all the way to Cayuga Lake. This creates an astonishing atmosphere that is hard to match no matter where you look.
Buttermilk falls park has two separate parks within, an upper park and a lower park. The upper park is home to a small lake, a picnic area, fields to play in, and a modest hiking trail. The hiking trail in the upper park gives you a tour through some gorgeous sites. When you traverse this trail you can easily expect to walk through the woodlands and pass the gorge that defines the park as a landmark.
The lower park provides a few other amenities. A campground for weary travellers looking for somewhere to lay their head for a couple of nights, more fields for playing, a natural pool, and the path to Larch Meadows. Larch Meadows is another gorgeous nature area, it’s a marshland that has a hiking trail through it.
If you’re looking for a place to hike, rest, and maybe barbeque with your family, you can easily do so in West Nyack while still being within a few miles of civilization. It’s the best of both worlds, especially for those that aren’t experienced nature survivalists.
Experience Some of New Yorks World-Reknown Cuisine
If you’ve ever heard about anything from New York, you’ve probably heard a lot about two things in particular. The spirit of the state and the culture that that produces, and the delicious food that the state is known for. After all, New York is home to more than a quarter of the Michelin Star restaurants in the United States. That might not seem impressive on its face, but when you remember that New York is just one of fifty states, it takes on a whole different meaning.
West Nyack is a city that understands the spirit of New York, and it carries on the time-honored tradition of having some of the best food in the world. No matter what you prefer to eat, you can easily find it in this city. One this that is always recommended when you’re anywhere in New York is the pizza. Many people consider New York to be the pizza capital of the world, so you’re likely to never miss when you get pizza in this wonderful state.
With that in mind, it’s hard to make a bad choice when in New York. Whether you’re a health food junkie and prefer to only eat clean, organic, locally sourced vegetables, you prefer fried, all-American foods, or anything in between, West Nyack, New York has something for you. Everyone has to eat at some point or another, especially when you’ve had exciting days out and about in a strange city.
Excitement and Relaxation, All in One City
What you need while you’re on your trip can change on a day-by-day basis, and sometimes even hour-by-hour. That’s why knowing where you can get excitement and relaxation are both important for any sojourner looking to make the most of their time out of town.
We realize that everyone is a little different and that their tastes and vary a lot. One person may define a good day as a day that their phone never rings and they can get a lot of reading done, and another person may only want to be surrounded by people at all times. Because of that, it’s important to make sure that you know everyone in your groups’ references to be sure that you can have a variety of activities planned, and we have a few suggestions for things that are certain to make everyone in your party happy.
- Visit the Palisades Center: There are few malls in the United States that match the regal charm of the Palisades center. You can go on a shopping spree in this mall, as well as enjoy many of the good eats that are located in the food court. This mall even has a ferris wheel, but it is currently closed down due to Covid-19. You can even go rope climbing in this mall.
- Find a Good Massage Parlor: West Nyack has no shortage of massage parlors and spas. If you and your group need to get total relaxation and quickly, head on down to one of the many options available in this beautiful city. Any type of massage you could want, you can probably find here.
- Go Go-Kart Racing: Go-kart racing is a time-honored American tradition. It was invented right in California in the 1950s. To this day, many people all over the world still race go-karts. The indoor go-kart track in West Nyack uses advanced electric go-kart that almost guarantee an interesting race. They can go 50 miles per hour and have differential axles that make steering a breeze. All skill levels can come and appreciate these races. The scoring system that they use can even give you lap times with accuracy up to 1/100th of a second, so you always know who won the race with nearly complete certainty.
- Visit a Local Bookstore: If there’s a bookworm in your group they’ll appreciate if you add this one to the itinerary. Bookstores are treasure troves for book lovers and non book lovers alike. The hidden gems that lie within the narrow rows at bookstores would blow your mind sometimes. Whether you or your friends like horror, romance, scifi, or even manga, you can probably find the right kind of book for your group’s tastes.
- Go Axe Throwing: Axe throwing is something that people have been doing for an incredibly long time. It’s a relatively simple game, but it’s still a whole lot of fun. All you do is stand in front of a plywood board that has a target of some sort on it then throw your axe. There are a lot of different playstyles for this game and it would be kind of hard to get into win conditions without getting too deep into them, but depending on how you throw you either gain or lose points. It’s a great game to play alone or with friends.
- Enjoy the Night Life: There are all sorts of bars that you can go visit while you’re in town and you can mingle with the locals while listening to good music and having some good drinks. Obviously, this is the kind of night that is best enjoyed among adults because children aren’t allowed into bars.
There are so many more fun things to do while you’re in town, and it’s definitely worth your visit. The list of activities to do and places to go stretches incredibly far, and you’ll never find a dull moment in this magical town.
Stay in a Magical Hotel
While you’re in town, you’re going to need a place to stay. Fortunately for you, West Nyack has no shortage of hotels that you can visit. You can even request different configurations of beds and sizes in your room depending on the type of people you’re travelling with. There are even some fancy hotels with large sweets that might even be bigger than your house. No matter what your preferences for lodging are, you can be sure that you’ll be sleeping in style no matter which of the many hotels there are to choose from.
Making Sure Your Stay in West Nyack is Magical
There are a lot of places that you can spend your time when you’re escaping town, why not try West Nyack for your next trip? All of the right elements for a perfect stay are sitting in this great city. Getting out of town should always be a joyous experience, and should send you back home more relaxed than you left. Whether you’re planning out a day trip or traveling the country, your trip should be perfect and send you home feeling ready for whatever challenges face you when you get home.